lazy monk was created by Ry and Aya in 2007.
lazy monk is a collaborative project between Ry and Aya. Both of us are contemporary artists from Japan. We currently live and work in Duluth Minnesota. All of our bags are hand-made in our Duluth studio and completed with Buddist prayers for your transportation safety. We want to make simple and beautiful bags for people to enjoy.
Sashiko (Japanese traditional embroidery) is used to design our full size messenger bags and small messenger bags. Each pattern is hand stitched by Ryuta Nakajima. Sashiko was originally used to strengthen and to increase warmth of Japanese peasants' (farmer, fisherman, fire fighter, etc..) work uniforms. We not only love the pure beauty of Sashiko which was created out of functional neccesity and poverty but also think that it symbolizes physical and spiritual protection against external conditions. Through integration of Urban Culture and Japanese traditional culture, we are hoping to produce a bag with real functional beauty and warmth.
photograph by Michael Martin
HOW TO ORDER:
All of our bags are custom order made and will generally take 4 week turnaround not including shipping time.
This is, of course, dependent on our current workload. Bags and product found in our online shop are available immediately.
1. Choose your model/size from one of our stock size. Available products are listed on product page.
2. Choose an outside color: Cordura plus color (black, white, red, navy blue, orange, sand, light blue, brown, camouflage and celery.)
3. Choose your liner color (black, blue, purple, orange, sand, light blue, brown, camouflage and celery yellow and red.)
4. Choose your Velcro color (red, pink, light blue, grey and yellow.)
5. Choose your piping color (red, oyster, yellow, fern, light blue, black, peacock green, pacific blue, spf and Capri.)
6. Choose your Cordura® base layer color.
7. Choose the shoulder you would like the bag to rest on.
8. Choose your thread color black, red, white, yellow, green, and light blue.)
9. Chose your sashiko thread color (black, white, sky blue, pink, deep blue, navy, orange, pink gradation, green gradation and rainbow.) Sashiko is only available on certain models.
10. lazy monk will start making your bag upon receiving full payment of your bag and shipping/handling charge.
11. Due to the nature of our bag, all order is final.
*We have tried our best to create an aculeate color swatch. However, due to the nature of computer monitor, color that you see may not match exactly to the actual material. If you would like to be absolutely sure, please send us a SASE and we will send you a sample material pack.
** In the past, we have made many bags with custom features depending on the needs of our customers. We are more than happy to help you realize your dream bag within our ability.
DISCLAIMER POLICY AND TERMS
lazy monk reserves the right to cancel any order and our only liability is to provide the customer with a refund. "Errors", prices, and availability of products and services on this site, are subject to change without notice.
Errors will be corrected where discovered. lazy monk reserves the right to revoke any stated offer, to correct any "Errors", inaccuracies or omissions before during or after an order has been processed and submitted regardless if your credit card or account has been charged.
If your payment has been charged and your order has been cancelled, lazy monk will issue a credit to your credit card account in the exact amount of the charge. Individual bank policies will dictate when this amount is credited to your account.
We currently ship with USPS priority Worldwide. Orders are shipped within one day of order confirmation. If your order needs to be shipped to a country outside of the US please contact us prior to completing the order.
We cannot ship to US territories including American Samoa, Baker Island, Federated States of Micronesia, Guam, Howland Island, Jarvis Island, Johnston Atoll, Kingman Reef, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Midway Islands, Navassa Island, Palmyra Atoll, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Wake Island.
lazy monk product will not be able to return. All order and purchase is final. If for some unexpected circumstance, we will exchanges or repair the product. The exchange item must be shipped back to our storeroom within 7 days after the package was received to our studio lazy monk 221 N 25th Ave E Duluth MN 55812 and have a copy of the receipt in the box. A letter explaining your reason for exchange must accompany all exchange items.